Neighbourly Devon is an initiative designed to encourage neighbours to get to know each other based on the knowledge that socially connected neighbourhoods feel safer and are healthier, and happier.
Research tells us that when we know our neighbours, it:
- Helps us feel safe when we watch out for one another
- Improves our physical & mental wellness
- Reduces isolation & increases our sense of belonging
- Saves time & money by helping out & sharing resources
- Supports healthy development of kids & youth
Volunteer to be a Neighbourhood Connector
- Have a friendly chat with the closest 10-20 households in your area
- Help neighbours connect at an activity at least once per year
Want to learn more about Neighbourly Devon?
Contact Heather Acres, Community Development Facilitator at P: 780-987-8300 or E: HAcres@devon.ca
- “The gatherings have made our neighbourhood friendlier. When you drive through the neighbourhood, you now know who is behind those closed doors. People wave more. It also feels safer. If there is an emergency, you could go and knock on one of those doors because you know who lives there now. There is an improvement in the quality of life. It feels more like home.” - Oakland Close Neighbourhood Resident
- “Our neighborhood had two block parties. They were beneficial to our sense of belonging and safety. It’s important to know who lives in your neighbourhood. We feel like we are part of our community and have made new friends. It is reassuring to be able to identify the people we see on our street and know they live in our neighbourhood.” - Oakland Close Neighbourhood Resident