You're here: VisitorsHistory of Devon

History of Devon

A legacy you can still see and touch

Year round attractions and fun!

It's amazing how much adventure, education, and beauty is in our backyard. Take a peak at some of the province's most interesting and visually stimulating attractions just minutes away.


The discovery that changed Alberta    

On February 13, 1947, Imperial Oil stuck oil at the Leduc Number 1 Discovery Well, located south of present-day Devon. Needing to find living quarters for the oil workers, Imperial Oil chose a picturesque spot on the North Saskatchewan River to build a new, well-planned town, and Devon was created. The name was chosen for the Devonian Reef formation in which the oil at Leduc #1 was discovered.


 


Direct link to this (item) content

Drilling Success    

February 13, 1947 After drilling 133 dry holes, Imperial Oil Resources Ltd. makes one of the biggest oil discoveries in the world.


 


Direct link to this (item) content

Building a Town    

"Starting from nothing and with nothing, they built up not the body, but the soul of the town, making it a model town not only in its physical aspects, but even more so in its spirit"

- Mrs. V. Hunter


 


Direct link to this (item) content

Theatre and Drugstore    

Athabasca Avenue - Devonian Theatre and Rexall DrugsBy January of 1948 houses were being built. The first residents, Mr. and Mrs. A. Dingman, moved into town in May of 1948. By July 25 houses were occupied and by the end of January 1949 there were one hundred and twenty three homes finished and occupied.


 


Direct link to this (item) content

Disaster    

Atlantic #3 blew wild from March 8 - September 9, 1948"Devon was a town gone mad. The fire (burnt for three days) was clearly visible from Edmonton twenty miles away.

"The women folk fearfully asked themselves if they should make ready to leave...there was also the threat of an explosion which would rival the power of an atomic bomb."

- Mrs. V. Hunter


 


Direct link to this (item) content

Incorporation    

Athabasca Avenue - Pagoda Dine and Dance, opened July 5, 1949.In January of 1950, Devon was incorporated as a Village and in March of the same year it became a Town. Devon was labeled as Canada's Model Town, since it was the first community in all of Canada to be approved by a Regional Planning Commission.


 


Direct link to this (item) content

Old Bridge    

Old Bridge (built in 1951) and the location of present day Voyageur Park


 


Direct link to this (item) content

An Urban County    

Athabasca Ave.Devon quickly grew over the years and in the early 1960's became the only Urban County in the Province of Alberta. This is a system of government that administers both the municipal and school operations. This system operated until the mid 1990's when the school division was separated from the Town and consolidated with the Black Gold Regional School District.


 


Direct link to this (item) content

Contact Us

Town of Devon Municipal Office
1 Columbia Avenue West
Devon, AB  T9G 1A1

Phone: 780-987-8300
Fax: 780-987-4778
Email: General Inquiries

 

Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Flickr. Join the conversation!

devon facebookdevon twitterdevon youtube

Also visit our Cycling Events website
Bike Town at www.RideDevon.ca

Terms Of Use | Privacy Statement | Copyright 2017 © Town of Devon
Login | | Website by WebmontonMedia