You're here: Online ServicesFAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

For updates, please check the Alberta Fire Bans website   or contact Devon the fire hall at P:  780.987.3718.

Devon Fire Department recruits for Volunteer Firefighters each year in September. Applicants must be over 18 years of age and reside within the Town of Devon. Applications are available at the Devon fire hall, the town office or can be downloaded here

Fire Application Form

Firefighter Volunteer Pamphlet


Devon: Open burning (outside of an approved fire pit) requires a fire permit.  Permits are also required for fire pits that do not meet the criteria laid out in the Fire Bylaw. Please see our fire pit brochure for fire pit information and requirements. 

Fire Permits can be obtained at the fire hall or here.  Fax the completed form to 780.987.4994, email it to, drop it off at the Town Office reception desk or at the fire hall (hours vary).  Permits must be approved before they are valid.

Parkland County: Check here to see if you are required to have a fire permit in the County.

Parkland County fire permits are available at the Devon Fire Department (hours vary), Parkland County Office, or here.

For all fire pit questions, click here.

Parkland County residents with questions or concerns please contact Parkland Fire Services during regular business hours at

Parkland County Office
53109A HWY 779

Learn more about Parkland County permits here.

These services are provided at no cost, although, a fine may be levied if a bylaw has been broken.

Devon Fire Department provides firefighting services for the community of Devon, County of Parkland District 1 and mutual aid for the surrounding communities.

Services Included:

  • Structure Fires
  • Ground Cover Fires
  • Dangerous Goods Initial Response
  • Medical Aid – First responder level
  • Rescue (boat, shoreline, etc.)
  • Vehicle fires
  • Vehicle extrication
  • Traffic Control
  • Fire Code Inspections (by request or as a result of a complaint)
  • School and group tours of fire hall
  • School and group fire prevention information sessions – outside venues

The purchase, sale, distribution or set-off of any fireworks in the Town of Devon requires a permit. Permits are $50 for non-Town of Devon sponsored events (this fee is for all non-TOD events including private fireworks displays).

To sell fireworks the vendor must apply for a license and remain vigilant to whom they are selling.

A copy of the Fire Bylaw, which includes seller / purchaser / discharger rules can be found here. No sales / purchase can be made without a valid permit, authorized by Devon Fire Services.

Purchase Permit

Sales Permit

Complete permits and return to the town office. Allow up to 10 business days for a response. Please note, licenses will be considered on a case by case basis and not all applications will be approved so it is advisable to wait for the response before purchasing fireworks.

Please see our guide sheet for details or call 780.987.3718.


Please see our guide sheet on smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors for information or call 780.987.3718


Simply select a category, and then click the question that you would like to see the answer to.

Please go to our special Community Centre FAQs page by following this link.

In Alberta, municipal elections are held once every four years. The next municipal election will be in October 2021.

No, but please be aware that the parks department will remove signs from town property in order to maintain the grounds.

Yes, the Town of Devon tries to accomodate all promotional item requests subject to availability.  We would request that sufficient notice be provided to allow time for preparing promotional packages. Send your requests to: Communications Coordinator. Visit the Contact us page to contact

Applicants can apply on line by following this link: Boards and Committees, or request a printed copy through Corporate and Legislative Services E: or P: 780.987.8302

You can pay online or by telephone through your bank

By paying online or through your financial institution, not only will you avoid a trip to your mailbox or the drive to the Town of Devon office, but you will also save the cost of a cheque and a stamp. Most banking institutions have the Town of Devon listed for making payments through the internet or telephone banking. Please be sure to use all 13 digits of your utility account and/or all 8 digits of your tax account (roll number). Payments are normally received and processed by the Town of Devon with in 3-5 business days.

You can pay at most banks and financial institutions

Payment can be made at the bank through the tellers or ATM.

Pay by mail

Mail your payment to: #1 Columbia Avenue West, Devon, AB. T9G 1A1. Be sure to include your account number.

Pay at the Town of Devon Office

You can make payments in person at the Town of Devon office located at #1 Columbia Avenue West, by cash, cheque or interact (please note we do not accept Visa or MasterCard for Tax or Utility ), between 8:30am and 4:30pm, Monday to Friday. A night drop box is also available outside the front doors of the Town Office. For your protection, please do not deposit cash in the drop box.

Sign up for the Town's Pre-authorized payment plan

Payments will be withdrawn from your bank account on the first business day of the month for utilities and the last business day of the month for taxes. You are welcome to apply for this service at anytime. Contact the Town of Devon for further information at 780.987.8300.

Tax certificates will provide the roll number, legal description, property address, owners, levy, current balance, arrears, utility account balance and monthly tax payment plan amount.

It is highly recommended to request a tax certificate when purchasing a property.

The pre-authorized payment plan allows utility/tax payments to be made automatically through direct debit payments from your bank account. For property taxes this means that you can split your tax levy into 12 equal payments instead of one lump sum at the end of June.

For Taxes:

(a) If your tax account is paid up to date (eg. If joining in June, taxes for January to May of the current year must be paid plus any arrears owning)

(b) If you have banking privileges at a financial institution; and

(c) If you currently remit taxes with your mortgage payment, your mortgage company must agree to waive that requirement.

For Utilities:

(a) If you are the registered owner of the property; and

(b) If your utility account is paid up to date; and

(c) If you have banking privileges at a financial institution.

To sign up for the pre-authorized payment plan

Simply fill out the pre-authorized payment form and return it via fax or email listed on the form. For tax payment amounts please contact our Tax Department at 780.987.8300.

To make changes to your bank account information

If your bank account changes please advise the Town of Devon by providing a new void check and filling out the pre-authorized payment change form and retuning it via fax or the email listed on the form. Changes must be made at least 5 business days in advance of payment date.

To withdrawal from the pre-authorized payment plan

Please advise the Town of Devon by filling out the pre-authorized payment change form and returning it via fax or the email listed on the form. Changes must be made at least 5 business days in advance of payment date.

The property taxes citizens pay are calculated in proportion to the value of the real estate property they own. Determining the value of a property for taxation purposes is known as assessment. Assessed values are a means of fairly distributing the tax burden and ensuring each property owner pays a fair level of tax in relation to his/her neighbor.

Tanmar Consulting Inc. (Assessors), employed by the Town of Devon, prepare an assessment annually for each property. Annual assessments are part of the regular cycle of activities that provincial legislation requires the Town of Devon to undertake. Each year all property values are updated to reflect typical market value based on economic conditions as of July 1st of the previous year. The new assessed values will be used to determine how much municipal and school taxes each property owner pays. The assessed value shown on your assessment notice will reflect the value of your property based on its physical condition and characteristics as of December 31st of the previous year.

If your property was not completely finished or occupied by this date, your assessment notice will reflect this, and once the property is completed or occupied a supplementary assessment and tax notice will be mailed at a later date this year.

What is a supplemental assessment?

Supplementary assessment reflects the increase in value of a property when a new home or building is completed and/or occupied during the current tax year.

What is supplemental tax?

Supplementary tax is determined by pro-rating the supplementary assessment by the number of months the building has been completed and/or occupied for the year and then multiplying this assessment by the tax rate.

How does supplemental assessment and tax work?

When the increased value of new homes, buildings and major additions has been determined, an additional supplementary assessment and tax notice will be sent to the property owner indicating the additional taxes for the year.


How is it calculated?

Here are some examples of how the Town of Devon calculates supplementary tax on residential property:

Supplementary Assessment Notice

Type of Property: Residential Single Family

Total new assessment $300,000

Less old assessment shown on annual tax notice (May 31st) 150,000

Supplementary Assessment $150,000

Improvement Completed and/or Occupied on Pro-rated Supplementary Assessment

July 1st ($150,000 x 6/12) $75,000

The tax levy is then applied to the pro-rated supplementary assessment to calculate the taxes due on the supplementary assessment. Assessments within the Town of Devon are based on typical market values with a valuation date as of July 1st of the previous year.

When is the supplementary assessment and tax notice sent out?

Supplementary taxes are levied only in the year the newly constructed building is completed and/or occupied. Supplementary notices are sent out October 30 and property owner(s) are required to pay no later than December 31.

If you have a concern or believe there is an error on your Property Assessment and Tax Notice, please contact the Town’s Tax Department at 780.987.8304 and arrange to speak with an assessor. If your discussion with an assessor doesn't resolve your concerns, you may submit a formal written complaint to the Town of Devon Assessment Review Board (ARB).

How do I file a complaint?

Provincial legislation and the town bylaws outline how complaints must be made:

a.) Your complaint must be submitted in writing.

b.) Your complaint must explain why you think the information or assessed value shown on your Property Assessment Notice is incorrect. The complaint is not an appeal for lower taxes.

c.) You must include your mailing address (Agents must include the assessed owner's mailing address).

d.) Your complaint must include the filing fee noted on your Property Assessment Notice.

e.) An agent may file a complaint on your behalf if you provide an agent with a signed letter of authorization to include with the complaint.

The Clerk of the Assessment Review Board must receive your complaint and filing fee no later than the date stated on your Property Assessment Notice which is 60 days after the date on the assessment notice. Complaints that arrive by mail after this date will not be accepted regardless of the postmark.

Written complaints and filing fees may be dropped off at: The Town of Devon, 1 Columbia Avenue West, or mailed to the Town of Devon c/o Taxation Department 1 Columbia Avenue West, Devon Alberta T9G 1A1.


Download and complete the Property Assessment Complaint Form or visit the CRASC website.

Property Assessments are mailed out at the end of March annually. The Tax Notices are mailed out no later that May 31st of each year with payment due the last business day of June.

The prosperity and general well-being of society, or the community we live in, is directly related to the education of its people. For that reason the costs of education are deemed to be the responsibility of all of society. Your education, for example, if received in Canada, was largely paid for by the previous generation of taxpayers. Provincial legislation specifies that the funds for schools are to be collected by municipalities. The province and separate school boards requisition revenue they require from the Town and the total levy is distributed among taxpayers through their property tax bills based on School Support Declaration. People who do not own property contribute indirectly through their rental or lease payments.

Seniors who own property must also pay education property tax. In recognizing the concerns raised by senior homeowners about year to year increases in the education portion of their property taxes, the Education property tax assistance program was introduced. The program provides an annual rebate to senior homeowners who have an increase in the education portion of their property taxes. For more information on the program you can contact Alberta Supports Contact Center line at 1.877.644.9992 or visit them on the web at

Terms Of Use | Privacy Statement | Copyright 2018 © Town of Devon
Login | | Website by WebmontonMedia